What's The Alternative To Calvinism?

A friend asked me the other day what a good alternative to Calvinism is?

My response:  The Bible!

The Bible doesn't need any other embellishments.  It doesn't need to be viewed through the lens of anyone's -ism.  Not Calvinism!  Not Arminianism!  Not any other -ism!  It makes sense on its own.  Its overall message can be read and understood by the average person.  By seekers.  By young people.  By anyone and everyone.  It's clear, consistent, and reliable.

In fact, that's how I decided to tackle my research about if Calvinism is true or not.  I decided not to look up anyone else's arguments against Calvinism at first so that it wouldn't taint my view.  And instead, I began writing down every verse and reference that my pastor used to support Calvinism (and any other ones I could find) ... and then I looked them up and read them in context, cross-referenced them with other verses, read them in other Bible translations, and looked up many words in the concordance.  (It's amazing how much we take for granted, how much we assume the meaning of certain words).  And since I was already working my way through the Bible, reading it from beginning to end, I made sure to write down anything and everything that contradicted Calvinism.  

And before I knew it, I had a huge list of verses that contradicted Calvinism and their view of God, and I had a better understanding of what the verses that seem to support Calvinism are really saying.  

And then, I looked up other people's arguments against Calvinism and why they disagree with it.    

If you read the Bible on its own, without Calvinists telling you how to understand it, you wouldn't find Calvinism.  Calvinism depends on Calvinist theologians to help "find" Calvinism in the Bible.  But you can't find what's not there, so all it ends up doing is twisting it all out of shape.

Most Popular Posts Of The Month:

List of Calvinist Preachers, Authors, Theologians, Websites, etc.

Is The ESV (English Standard Version) a Calvinist Bible?

How to Tell if a Church, Pastor, or Website is Calvinist (simplified version)

A Random Verse That Destroys Calvinism (And "Is The ESV a Calvinist Bible?")

Why Is Calvinism So Dangerous? (re-updated)

Posts in the "Predestination vs. Free-Will" Series

When Calvinism Infiltrates Your Church

A Calvinist's best defense of their worst doctrine

On this Good Friday

The 9 Marks of a Calvinist Cult (shorter version)