UGW #22: So What, Ultimately, Is God's Will?

Understanding God's Will #22 (final post in series):

So what is the Will of God, according to the Bible?  And how do I find the next step in His plan for me?   
            
Well, I’m glad you asked.  But do you really want to know?  Because once you know then you have a decision to make: obey or disobey.  And doing God's Will is not a simple, quick thing.  It’s a life-long, life-altering discipline.  And that’s part of the problem because we want simple jobs with quick and massive rewards.  We want to put in the least amount of effort and get the most benefits possible.  We want Him to open the doors, but we don’t want any responsibilities.  We want freedom, but no consequences.
             
But that is not God’s way.  I think that the problem with a lot of us is that we want to live our lives the way we want, coasting into God’s “Will,” when we should be diligently living as He instructs us in His Word.  And we desperately seek to find God’s “Will” (i.e. His plans), when we should be desperately seeking God. 
            
Our job is not to force God to reveal His “Will” or to force an answer.  And that’s one area where I’ve gone wrong before.  Many times.  There were times when I would bow my head to pray and be like, “Okay, God, I’m listening.”  And I basically expected Him to speak simply because I told Him to.  And if I was desperate for an answer, I could easily end up “making up” His answers.  I wanted quick results when I wanted them.     
            
But I cannot force God to speak.  I cannot force Him to answer me when I want Him to, but I can make sure that I live in such a way that I am receptive to Him when He does speak.  And this happens by abiding in Him, seeking righteousness, immersing myself in the Word and in prayer, and living in obedience to Him.

If we are doing these things, He'll guide our steps as we go, and we'll be in His Will, and the next step will become clear when it's the right time.  (And it's almost always one step at a time.  You won't get the guidance until the moment you need it.)


But if you want a generalized list of things that are always His Will for us, things that will help us stay on the path He wants us on ...
            
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.... Love your neighbor as yourself.”  (Matthew 22:37,39)   
            
“Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.”  (John 14:21)  
            
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”  (Matthew 6:33) 
            
“I am the vine; you are the branches.  If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”  (John 15:5)   
            
“ ... whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”  (1 Corinthians 10:31)
            
“Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”  (Psalm 46:10)
            
Love God and others with all you’ve got.  Obey His commands.  Seek His kingdom and seek righteousness.  Remain in Him always, through prayer and His Word.  And if you are living for His glory, your life will be fruitful and God-glorifying.  And we don’t have to know everything; just be still in Him, for He is God... and He will be exalted.  

May God be with you and bless you on your journey with Him!    


For the posts in this series, see the "Understanding God's Will" label in the sidebar (or find the original series, without the Calvinism info, by clicking here).

Most Popular Posts Of The Month:

List of Calvinist Preachers, Authors, Theologians, Websites, etc.

Is The ESV (English Standard Version) a Calvinist Bible?

How to Tell if a Church, Pastor, or Website is Calvinist (simplified version)

A Random Verse That Destroys Calvinism (And "Is The ESV a Calvinist Bible?")

Why Is Calvinism So Dangerous? (re-updated)

Posts in the "Predestination vs. Free-Will" Series

A Calvinist's best defense of their worst doctrine

When Calvinism Infiltrates Your Church

On this Good Friday

Tony Evans Preaches on Prayer and God's Will