End Times #1: I Believe in a Pre-Trib Rapture!

After poking around on the internet for a little while, it seems that most Calvinists do not believe in a pre-trib rapture.  They simply believe in the second coming of Christ at the end of the tribulation, meaning that Christians will be on earth for the tribulation.  (My ex-pastor - a dogmatic Calvinist - is a post-tribber, too.)

But I disagree!

About the Calvinism and the idea that there's no pre-trib rapture.

Yes, I admit this is a very messy, unclear topic.  Prophecy always is.  But I believe that a post-trib rapture (or no rapture at all) has absolutely no merit, and that a mid-trib rapture has only a tiny bit.  But as I have studied this issue over the last 30 years (since I was a teenager), I have only grown more confident that the Bible teaches a pre-trib rapture.  



[It seems that part of the reason Calvinists don't believe in a pre-trib rapture has to do with the fact that all the elect should be taken out in the rapture, but the Bible shows that there will be believers on earth during the tribulation, which opens up the question of "How can any 'elect' people be left behind if they are elected from the beginning of time?'"  And so to accommodate their belief in election, they have to move the tribulation to post-trib.  (I suspect that even if the Bible was more clear about a pre-trib rapture, Calvinists still would not accept it because their belief in election comes first and would dictate how they interpret the rest of the Bible.)  

Also, on a personal note, I wonder if believing that Christians will go through the tribulation appeals to a Calvinist's pride, even though they might not realize it.  I think this pride is also seen in other ways too, such as in their belief that they alone know the "secret teachings" of God that the rest of us can't understand, and in the deep-down "I'm more humble than you" attitude they seem to have because "We Calvinists accept the hard teachings that all people are totally depraved, wicked sinners, that we are so dead inside that we can't do anything to affect our salvation, that God is fully sovereign to the point of creating people specifically for hell, etc., unlike those of you who refuse to submit to God because you believe in free-will, like your independence too much, and want to save yourselves."

Deep down, I wonder if these beliefs of theirs make them feel more spiritual, more intelligent, more "humble," and almost martyr-like.  It appeals to their pride, and they don't even know it.

And believing in a post-trib rapture, that believers will suffer through the tribulation, fits right in, giving them a deep, unconscious, dramatic, martyr-like feeling of "Look how humble, tough, and godly I am to accept such a difficult, distasteful teaching, unlike the fanciful, overly optimistic, simple-minded, wimpy Christians who need the false hope of being saved from the tribulation."

I'm just wondering.]



Anyway, seeing as how it looks as if we are fast approaching the end times (maybe not, but it sure feels like it), I think it's a good idea to post this series here, a series I have on my other blogs.  

How sad, in these especially troubling times, for the members of these post-trib, Calvinist churches to be denied the wonderful hope of the pre-trib rapture.  I have seen several churches online who are addressing the end times, but my old church isn't one of them.  How sad!  (Maybe because a post-trib pastor can't give any more hope than "Buckle your seat belts, hang on tight, and prepare to die!")

I may not convince anyone else of my views about a pre-trib rapture, but that's okay.  All I can do is share them.  It's up to you to study the Scriptures for yourself.

I started this "end times" series on my other blog with some songs about the rapture and heaven.  And here is that post:



I will be reposting an "end times" series I did back in 2018 (interspersed with any other posts I am writing right now).  Something about the way the world is going makes all this seem so relevant right now, so timely. 

But first, let's start with some music!

First things first ...
God's Not Dead (by Newsboys).
I assure you, He's not.  


And Jesus is coming back again soon
In The Sky (by Bob Carlisle and others)



I know that my family and I are ready.
Are you?


My prayer: Lord, please, break open the sky (by Toby Mac)!


I Can Only Imagine (by MercyMe) what it will be like 
on the day that we rise (I Will Rise by Chris Tomlin).


How I long for that day ...
when we finally make it Home (by Chris Tomlin)!


We can't wait for the day 
that we'll be singing
Hallelujah (by Newsboys)!




And to all the scoffers: 
Are you so sure He's not coming back again!?!
Enough to bet your soul on it?  
(People, Get Ready by Crystal Lewis)




Grab onto God's Amazing Grace (by Chris Tomlin) while there's still time.


Because if you think evil in this world is bad now, 
 
just wait till God removes His spirit and His people, unleashing His wrath and allowing Satan free reign on this earth.
You ain't seen nothing yet!
At that time, people will finally get to experience 
the world they always wanted: a world without God.
And they'll wish they never did!


But it doesn't have to be that way.
You can have the hope that I have.


Oh, What Love! 


When everything seems like it's falling apart and like evil is winning, remember who the The Champion is!





And if you want to read the "end times" series right now, go to the next post on my other blog - "Will There Be A Rapture?" - and follow the links at the end.

Most Popular Posts Of The Month:

List of Calvinist Preachers, Authors, Theologians, Websites, etc.

How to Tell if a Church, Pastor, or Website is Calvinist (simplified version)

Is The ESV (English Standard Version) a Calvinist Bible?

Why Is Calvinism So Dangerous? (re-updated)

A Random Verse That Destroys Calvinism (And "Is The ESV a Calvinist Bible?")

Tony Evans Preaches on Prayer and God's Will

Posts in the "Predestination vs. Free-Will" Series

A Calvinist's best defense of their worst doctrine

On this Good Friday

How to Tell if a Church, Pastor, or Website is Calvinist (extended version)