The Humble Calvinist: "Jesus Died For Me Me Me"

I have no idea who made this (or who Tyler Vela is, other than that he's a Calvinist), but here's an amusing 2-minute video, featuring Beaker from the Muppets, demonstrating Calvinist "humility": "Jesus Died for Me Me Me"

Notice what he says about God's love: essentially that a generalized, all-encompassing love for mankind isn't good, isn't meaningful, but that it's so much better for God to have a specific, focused love on only a few people.  

(And notice how he throws out the accusation of "universalist" if you believe Jesus died for all.  He says that can't be true because there will still be people in hell.  This is a mistake in their thinking because they start from the basis that people cannot choose, and so we can't choose to reject Jesus's offer of salvation.  Therefore, those people must be in hell by God's choice, because they never got the offer of salvation, because Jesus never died for them.  Because if Jesus died for you, you WILL BE saved, no chance of rejecting it because we have no choice.)  

But would a generalized love for mankind, for all people, be such a bad thing?  

Wouldn't it be much better to have a God who loves everyone than to have a God who loves only a tiny few people but who created the rest of humanity so that He could hate them and send them to hell for eternity because it pleases and glorifies Him?  Apparently, Tyler Vela doesn't think so.

Is it a bad thing to love all your children, to want to save all your children in the event of a house fire or other crisis, instead of choosing only one to love and to save?  I guess Tyler Vela would say it's better to focus specifically on one.  Tyler Vela thinks it's better to have a God who picks only a few people to love and to save because then at least it would be a specific, focused love ... than it is to have a God who has a generalized, broad, all-encompassing love for all people, who wants to and tries to save everyone.  

If Tyler has siblings, I wonder if he'd have been okay with his parents choosing to love and care for only one sibling while choosing to hate him and let him starve to death, for no real reason other than the parents wanted to focus their love on one specific person.  I mean, if he's okay with God doing it, then shouldn't he be okay with his parents doing it?  Aren't we supposed to try to be like God?  To love people the way He does?  

But I guess Tyler Vela can be okay with all this because he's one of the few lucky "chosen ones" after all.  He won the "salvation lottery."  Hooray for him!  (Too bad for the rest, though.  Sucks to be them!)

And I just want to point out one amusing thing here.  Tyler says he doesn't know why God picked him.  Calvinists say it's a "mystery" why God chose to save them specifically, out of everyone else out there, that they don't know why they were chosen, they just were (and they act all super-humble about it).  And they accuse us non-Calvinists of thinking that we are better than, smarter than, more humble than our unbelieving neighbors because we saw our need for a Savior and did something about it, whereas our unbelieving neighbors couldn't and didn't.  Basically, we must think we're better than them if we were smart enough to figure it out, but they weren't.  

But the funny, ironic thing is: If Calvinists don't know why God chose them, then they cannot claim that it's not because they are "better" than, "smarter" than, or "more humble" than their neighbors.  They could have been "chosen" for those very reasons (for what they shame non-Calvinists for), for being "so smart, so humble, so much better than" those who didn't get chosen - they just don't know it because God didn't tell them that those were the reasons.  Ha ha.  Too funny.


Update 2023: I just found this video showing that Tyler Vela has recently renounced his faith in Christ.  Sadly, it seems that many public Christians who've recently left the faith were Calvinists.  Coincidence?

I recently posted a comment about this in the comment section of "Calvinism Obscures the Simple Gospel" at Soteriology 101, and I want to share - just because - the reply Brian (a very intelligent non-Calvinist) gave me and my reply to him (slightly edited for clarity):

My comment: Just throwing this out there (I might have said it before, can’t remember): I recently read an article that the Calvinist in the “Me Me Me” video (in the link above) – Tyler Vela – just renounced his faith in Christ.  I wonder what happened to that wonderful, saving, “specific” love that Calvi-god had for him.  He must’ve gotten evanescent grace instead.  Sad.

Brian's reply: Heather, my view of Tyler V. is that he is a good example of someone who can be very knowledgeable of Scripture and Christian history and theology, but with no firm assurance of Christ living within by the Holy Spirit.  There can be a false assurance of self-produced feelings like – “My theology is correct and in agreement with so many smart men who claimed to be Christian that I must be a Christian too”, or “When I knew I needed to escape the terrible life I was living, and was told to follow Jesus to find that escape, I had a special feeling when I was baptized in His name, so I thought I was a Christian for sure.”  But Tyler came to believe that God was not working in His life as he thought God should be, and after experiencing a life trauma, he gave up believing that the Christian God exists at all.  This made his former doubts now confirmed by experience, in his thinking.  Very sad.

My reply to Brian: That is really sad.  And I can totally understand the desire to want to wash my hands of faith, of God, when everything falls apart, when God doesn’t do what we think He “should” do.  “Shoulds” can be dangerous things.  We blame God for failing us when it’s really our expectations of Him and of faith that failed us, because they were out of line to begin with.

After I learned about what my mother did (what she was later arrested for), it was almost the straw that broke the camel’s back.  The anxiety and stress and heartbreak was so strong, so overwhelming, that I wanted to give up my faith (and I wouldn’t have minded giving up on living too).  It was like “You’re not coming through for me, God.  It would be so much easier and less heartache to not have to rely on You or wait for You, to rely only on myself.”  It was one thing to feel that life and my mother had let me down, but it was another to feel like God was letting me down too.  It was almost too much.  (It was only by His grace that I made it through those first several months/years.  I’m still not over it, but I’m still here and it’s gotten easier, so that’s good.)

I wanted to be done with it all.  I wanted to bail on God before He hurt me more [of course, God wasn't really hurting me, but it felt like it because He didn't seem to be doing anything to help, didn't seem to care].  Do you know what I mean?  It’s like people who sabotage relationships to protect themselves from pain – quit before you get hurt.  But all I kept coming back to was “To whom shall I go, Lord?  You alone have the words of eternal life.”  (One of my favorite lines in the Bible, along with my favorite prayer “I believe, Lord, but help my unbelief.”)  I’ve spent years clinging to faith in spite of my expectations and circumstances falling apart.  And I know it’s not easy to do, so my heart goes out to Tyler.

Thankfully, for me, before my severe traumas, I had already learned how much I could trust that God is real and that the Bible is trustworthy in spite of my feelings and doubts – through things like years of research and some very clear answers to prayer and some supernatural experiences (levitating someone through “light as a feather, stiff as a board” – it’s demonic, don’t do it, but I was young and stupid – and a season of clearly demonic harassment like feeling electricity engulf my body when I was waking up and once even fully awake, and feeling an invisible force choking me when waking up, and feeling an invisible presence walking up my bed towards me several times while I was wide awake, etc.)  

I’ve had enough experiences with the supernatural world to know for sure that there is a spiritual world out there, that there are angels and demons, that God is real.  And if God (and His Word) is truly real, good, and trustworthy, like I believe He is, then I choose to cling to Him in spite of my shattered expectations and broken heart.  This world is not all there is, and the best is yet to come.  Till then, I cling to Him through the good and the bad.  To whom else would I go?

Sorry, I’m rambling, but my heart breaks for hurting, broken people, and it opens up my wounds all over again.  If I could spare anyone from the kind of deep pain I’ve been through, I would.  I wish no one ever had to feel pain, despair, and hopelessness that deeply.  I’m really sorry for Tyler.  (There are tears in my eyes as I write this.)

The sad thing is that Calvinism erodes people’s faith in God as a good, trustworthy, faithful, loving God, and so they don't have that to fall back on when the pain comes.  They have been brainwashed into seeing Him as Someone who causes and is glorified by sin and evil as much as by good, Someone who could just as easily damn people to eternal torment as save them, Someone who randomly picks a few to save but prevents the rest from being saved because He created them to hate and to punish (for doing what He ordained/caused) for His glory and pleasure.  If that’s the kind of God He really is - one who causes and is glorified by sin and evil - then why in the world would we turn to Him for help and comfort when sins and evils hurt us?  Why would we seek refuge in a God like that?  No wonder Calvinists bail on God when the painful trials hit, when their expectations are shattered.  It’s sad.

I’m sorry for Tyler having to go through those kinds of feelings.  That’s a really difficult, heartbreaking struggle.  May he eventually realize that it’s not God who let him down, but it’s the Calvinism that did.

Thanks for sharing your insight, Brian.  God bless.


Most Popular Posts Of The Month:

List of Calvinist Preachers, Authors, Theologians, Websites, etc.

How to Tell if a Church, Pastor, or Website is Calvinist (simplified version)

Is The ESV (English Standard Version) a Calvinist Bible?

A Random Verse That Destroys Calvinism (And "Is The ESV a Calvinist Bible?")

Why Is Calvinism So Dangerous? (re-updated)

Posts in the "Predestination vs. Free-Will" Series

A Calvinist's best defense of their worst doctrine

Tony Evans Preaches on Prayer and God's Will

On this Good Friday

When Calvinism Infiltrates Your Church